Unread 2010-08-22, 20:31   #31
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 41
Male
Dallas

Added a 60 second auto-refresh to the forums index page so the Latest Threads will refresh. Between that and I think a 20 second auto-refresh on the shoutbox, that's a lot of data being sent!

I might need to increase the interval a bit in the future; we'll see how bandwidth goes when the site gets more traffic. You should not lose anything you have typed in the shoutbox when it refreshes, since it's a form field.
Unread 2010-08-22, 20:42   #32
kokopelli
Administrator

Feb 4 2003
6,476 posts
Male
Stavromula Beta

Yes, definitely tweak as needed. It's a great feature, but not an essential one, and there's no point pushing the server load any harder than we have to!
Unread 2010-08-23, 6:44   #33
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male
Visiting my brain at the funny farm.

Might want to eliminate the forums index refresh, and just keep the SB refresh. Seems every time the forums refresh goes off, if you are in the midst of typing anything into the SB field, you loose it all, and have to start over.
Unread 2010-08-23, 9:26   #34
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 41
Male
Dallas

Oh dear, I didn't think it would do that! Okay, I'll axe the entire page refresh script for now.
Unread 2010-08-23, 12:52   #35
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 41
Male
Dallas

(Reposting this since I decided it wasn't worth its own thread, and I just split forum additions into this thread anyway.)

Here are some new BB codes that work anywhere in the forums, entry description or comments, contest comments, suggested contest queue comments, basically anywhere on the site. We had most of these before.

Quote:
Google

Google for a search term
Usage [g]search term[/g]
Example Usage: [g]pwnd[/g]
Example Output: pwnd

Quote:
HR

Horizontal Rule
Usage: [hr]width value[/hr]
Example Usage: [hr]300[/hr]
Example Output:

Quote:
imglink

This will let you link thumbnails to external pages, instead of having to put a link under the image due to the lightbox controlling it. Anotherwords, use [img] if you want a bigger version of your image to pop up, use [imglink] if you want it to go to a web address

Example Usage: [url=http://destination.com][imglink]http://blah.com/image.jpg[/imglink][/url]
Example Output:

Quote:
live

Show your Xbox360 Live Gamecard
Usage: [live=Option]value[/live]
Example Usage: [live=option]name[/live]
Example Output:

Quote:
Pong!

I don't know why I added this one, please don't actually ever use it.
Usage [pong]value[/pong]
Example Usage [pong]This text bounces left and right.[/pong]
Example Output:
This text bounces left and right.

Quote:
Spoiler

Spoiler tag
Usage [s]value[/s] **OR** [spoiler]value[/spoiler]
Example Usage: [s]spoiled![/s]
Example Output: spoiled!

Quote:
Strike
Usage: [strike]value[/strike]
Example Usage: [strike]strike[/strike]
Example Output: strike

Quote:
Sub

Usage: [sub]value[/sub]
Example Usage: [sub]sub[/sub]
Example Output: hellosub

Quote:
Sup

Usage [sup]value[/sup]
Example Usage: [sup]sup[/sup]
Example Output: hellosup

Quote:
Stash
Spacer for stash thumbnail code
Usage [stash=Option]value[/stash]

NOTE: this doesn't do anything right now but will some day

View all forums BB code here:
http://mechapixel.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode
Unread 2010-08-23, 13:18   #36
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 41
Male
Dallas

Added a Photoshopping forum, for general discussion (critiques, tutorials, software, etc).

Under that forum are 3 new subforums that we had before:
  • Photoshop Tennis - Join in on photoshop tennis or kick off your own here! This will likely be the replacement for Volleybattles, so feel free to jump in with a starter image.
  • Group Contests - Everything relating to Slag and Graffiti contests on Mechapixel. Discussion about upcoming, live, or ended contests, plus contest ideas or suggestions should be posted here.
  • Faceoff Central - Want to start a Faceoff or talk about previous matches? Use this area. This forum used to be filled with "looking for a match" type threads, as well as discussion about specific ongoing matches. However once we added a comment area to contests in 2006 or so, it didn't get much activity.
I might axe the Faceoff forum if it doesn't get much interest once that contest type is brought back, or turn it into a tournament forum. Yes, I'd love to do tournaments again some day, particularly around Christmas (Slag or Graffiti, not Faceoff) since those were such a blast.
Unread 2010-08-27, 14:58   #37
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,597 posts
Age 40
Male
Indianapolis, IN

Digging the Pudding Friday theme, but I think we might want to change the color of the hover state on links. The white seems a little harsh against the puddin tones.
Unread 2010-08-27, 18:54   #38
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 41
Male
Dallas

Yah fixed that to just turn black
Unread 2010-08-27, 21:05   #39
JangoFett
Mecha+ Member

Nov 1 2004
3,467 posts
Age 40
Male
Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away

awesome
Unread 2010-09-03, 14:21   #40
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,597 posts
Age 40
Male
Indianapolis, IN

I'd been thinking about this for a little while and today's Puddin Pop Quiz brought it back to mind. I think it would be neat to have a
{URL} code where it would place an audio player in-line in a thread (maybe even the shoutbox) and stream an mp3 file. Peaceboy could load his quizes into it and we could listen right inside the quiz thread without having to download or having to load in another window. I know Dinahmoehum and Gear Jammer always like to post songs as well, and sometimes a sound effect can help punctuate a joke.

I just did a little bit of research and found a couple demos and a couple of players that would seem to work. Of course I don't know all the details about how the mecha forums are run and if they'd fit here.
Here's one on the vbulletin.org forums but since I don't have a vBulletin license number I can't see the code to investigate fully
And here's one for phpBB but it seems like it might apply as well - this one points to a free player that you can download here but I'll bet you can get elsewhere too.

I know you've got a lot on your plate for the new mechapixel, and I can do a little more investigating if you're interested, but I thought it could be fun to have a little music player on board. I might try to set one up on my myBB forum as a test and I'll post a demo if it works. Of course there's always the question of music copyright, but if they're streaming, we wouldn't be able to download the songs that were playing.
Unread 2010-09-03, 19:55   #41
b0rg9
Mecha+ Member

Jan 6 2004
9,813 posts
Age 54
Male
clearwater, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ved View Post
Yah fixed that to just turn black
Dude, your attention to detail and to requests like that (and the one for the scroll in the "recent threads" window that I suggested) are great and I'm really thankful. What you've built back is just really impressive to me.

I like FDT's idea about the mp3 embed thing as well. Youtube embed would be cool too, maybe. Is that stuff all html rather than bbcode? Does it put a strain on the forum threads even with the stuff being hosted remote? Is there a philosophical reason not to? I could see the argument made that these type things would clutter and "load" threads - especially if abused/overused.

Just thinkin' outload.
Unread 2010-09-04, 15:08   #42
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 41
Male
Dallas

Yeah I can add BBcode for youtube and mp3 embedding. I added it to my to-do list.

Thanks for the kind words.
Unread 2010-09-04, 16:24   #43
Chuck

May 6 2003
16,605 posts
Age 63
Male
The real America not that part where you live.

The embedding would/will be awesome.
Unread 2010-09-05, 0:33   #44
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 41
Male
Dallas

Okay, YOUTUBE and MP3 embedding is now installed, and quite simple to perform.

Youtube

Usage: Use the movie code from the YouTube URL in your browser. For example, http://youtube.com/watch?v=(copy this video ID)
Example: [youtube]kYVnosKj8i4[/youtube]

Here is a demonstration, using a tribute to the funniest show ever on TV:

MP3

Usage: Enter the full URL to the MP3 file. The URL will be displayed under the flash player.
Example: [mp3]http://mechapixel.com/vedman/Deep In The Heart Of Mecha.mp3[/mp3]

Here is a demonstration, using the best song ever produced:

http://mechapixel.com/vedman/Deep In The Heart Of Mecha.mp3
Unread 2010-09-05, 6:06   #45
Gear Jammer

Jan 14 2004
5,555 posts
Male
Visiting my brain at the funny farm.

Coolio best Craig Ferguson show ending ever...

Edit: crap, it don't work with the time advance feature of youtube.
Edit Edit: crap I apparently suck at simple instructions, can't get it to work at all.
Edit Edit Edit: Oh wait I gots it now, not the entire URL, just the video ID. I is teh dumb dumb head.

Last edited by Gear Jammer; 2010-09-05 at 6:14.
Unread 2010-09-05, 9:04   #46
kokopelli
Administrator

Feb 4 2003
6,476 posts
Male
Stavromula Beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ved View Post
Example: [mp3]http://mechapixel.com/vedman/Deep In The Heart Of Mecha.mp3[/mp3]

Here is a demonstration, using the best song ever produced:

http://mechapixel.com/vedman/Deep In The Heart Of Mecha.mp3
Unread 2010-09-05, 23:24   #47
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,597 posts
Age 40
Male
Indianapolis, IN

Wow that's awesome! Thanks Ved! talk about "ask and ye shall receive" what customer service! Now... is there any BBcode to make me a better 'shopper? Cause I'm itchin to get in on one of the contests.
Unread 2010-09-13, 13:14   #48
FulanoDeTal
Mecha+ Member

Jul 25 2006
5,597 posts
Age 40
Male
Indianapolis, IN

Here's a silly request:
is it possible to give the Arcade champion a different color in the shoutbox like admin's are red, mod's are green, etc.?
I'm sure it will always be Gear Jammer, but it would be a neat little benefit for "a job well done"
Same thing with the current Slag winner (possibly Graffiti winner too)? It'd be just another little token of victory like the boxcutter is.
Unread 2010-09-13, 15:42   #49
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 41
Male
Dallas

Ummmmm it may be possible, but I'm not sure? Right now the colors are the main usergroups. Admin/Mod/Member (Veteran is no longer is separate group). Soon we'll have a light blue color again for subscribers, and then as far as feasible colors left, we'll have dark blue, light/dark purple, orange, uhhh I guess there enough colors technically. Dark orange would probably stand out the most, it's just a matter of automatically moving someone into that usergroup when they become a winner or champion, for X amount of time, and then undoing it.

It's a neat idea but a bit of setup, so it's something that could go on the back burner for the future.
Unread 2010-09-14, 13:36   #50
Ved
Administrator

Feb 3 2003
4,678 posts
Age 41
Male
Dallas

The new Mechapixel template will be applied to the forums this afternoon. The only loss regarding having no sidebar will be the Paypal/upcoming Mecha+ adbox, so I need to figure out where to put that, and make sure it isn't too annoying.

The forums will also lose the blue navagation bar at the top, which I really hated anyway. There are a couple links that need to be preserved however, because I know a lot of you use them.

Here are the forums navagation bar links that will soon be moved or missing, and why. Links in bold will be retained somehow.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
User CP (linked in new header by your username)
FAQ (linked in new header)
Shoutbox Full (linked from the Shoutbox itself)
Members List (linked in new header)
Calendar (decent for seeing birthdays, not much else. Not sure if we should keep a link somewhere)
Arcade (linked in new header)
Forums Search (need to keep this linked somewhere)

Quick Links
- Today's Posts (can't find this anywhere else, will need to put a link for it somewhere)
- Mark Forums Read (already linked at the bottom of forums index)
- Open Contacts Popup (available in your UserCP)
- Contacts & Friends (available in your UserCP)
- Edit Signature (available in your UserCP)
- Edit Details (available in your UserCP)
- Edit Options (available in your UserCP)
- Private Messages (available in your UserCP)
- Subscribed Threads (available in your UserCP)
- Your Profile (I want to do away with this default one anyway and send people to our custom Member History page, which will be revamped a bit soon)
- Who's Online (already at bottom of forums index)

Log Out (linked in top right of header, but has broken text in the popup)

Edit: oh the Arcade template header won't change quite yet, so it will stick out like a sore thumb. The arcade will retain a black/dark gray theme, but the header buttons are quite dated and will be changed.

Last edited by Ved; 2010-09-14 at 13:45. Reason: d
Unread 2010-09-14, 17:59   #51
ash#

Nov 1 2004
9,894 posts
Age 47
Male
One of those indoor shopping malls

BTW the fact that the queue tab notifies you when there are new things in there is friggen awesome. Great idea.
Unread 2010-09-15, 8:31   #52
NocturnalGuy
Mecha+ Member

Oct 22 2003
5,129 posts
Age 47
Male
T.O.

Lovin' it, Ved!
Go Back   Mechapixel Forums > Site Discussion > Announcements > Mechapixel Forum Additions
Post New Thread Reply